To The Dark Side

Tuesday 22 July 2014


Black liner is something I consistently shy away from. I have dark eyes and brows with pale skin so black always seems a little harsh, and I veer on the side of gothic if I stray from my trusty brown shadows and liners. 

But today I tried something different. Black kohl liner in the form of Urban Decay Zero Pencil paired with Maybelline Gel Liner in... (you guessed it!) black, topped off with a smudge of an old Laura Mercier black shadow left me feeling very dark and very dangerous. Dangerous in the sense that smudges are pretty much inevitable. Brows and lips of any kind of substance with this dark of an eye can easily push your makeup onto the verge of drag. In the picture I'm wearing MAC Creme Cup, but even the soft pinky nude seems almost too much for me. 

Maybe I'm just a minimal makeup addict, but I don't think black is really for me. When used minimally - a quick sweep of liner on top here, a soft smudge in the outer corners there - I am all for embracing the black, but all round the eye makeup makes my eyes appear even smaller than they are. How do you make black work for you?

bloglovin' . twitter . tumblr . instagram . pintrerest

9 comments :

  1. Gorgeous smokey look - such a nice contrast from a lot of the summer looks at the moment :o) Xx Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou lovely, its definitely not one to be wearing in the heat!:)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Aww so simple yet so dramatic! Love it :)


    Ana X

    anasofiachic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! Definitely verging on the side of too dramatic!
      xxx

      Delete
  3. Don't know why you shy away, looks gorgeous on you!!

    shabna x x
    drop me a comment back? -> http://scheine.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, im just so un-used to dark makeup!
      xx

      Delete
  4. I think you look stunning! I wish I could pull off the smokey eye look but it doesn't suit me at all xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, i definitely think lighter hair and paler skins have it harder when it comes to pulling off darker eyes! xx

      Delete
  5. Love this - simple but gorgeous smokey look! I have to be careful with the darker shadows as I can look like I've got a black eye or dodgy bruise! I'll have to give this a try myself :) x

    Sarah @ sarahlouxo.com xx

    ReplyDelete