my hair journey!

Monday 18 April 2011

 My hair and I have a very fragile relationship.

Only recently has it reached a length which I deem suitable for my head after months and months of it being stuck at that 'awkward' length which takes forever to grow out.

About three years ago I chopped of my lovely, long hair to just above my shoulder, thinking it would make me look sophisticated and grown up, however it seemed to achieve just the opposite...

*cringe*

I absolutely hated it!
Short hair looks beautiful on so many people, however with fine, flat hair I was just not one of them! As soon as it reached my shoulder it was flicking out constantly and I wasted hours of my life straightening my unruly ends into place. All that heat on my hair did it nothing but damage and it has taken me years to restore it to its original healthy condition. Split and dry ends have plagued me all the way through trying to grow out my hair, and only recently have I discovered my miracle hair product, Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, review here.

As soon as I got the chop I knew I wanted long, luscious locks back, and my solution to this problem, influenced by my sister, was hair extensions. Clip-in ones of course, which as I was only about 13, did not match the colour of my hair one bit, oh the naivety of my youth! ;)

*Insert embarrassing picture of me in my mismatching hair extensions!*

After countless embarrassing moments of half the clips falling out at the worst times, and accidentally nearly burning them off with a soldering iron (whoops!) I eventually realised hair extensions were just not for me  and decided just to concentrate my efforts on growing my hair longer, naturally.

I've never dyed my hair (although I was considering ombre ends recently- I chickened out!) but I did have highlights a few years ago. To be honest they made no difference to my hair at all! I have naturally blonde-ish highlights in my hair and the ones my hairdresser put in for me just did not show up enough for me to even bother putting in a picture of me with them!

So after months of struggling to get it past the 'awkward' length of sitting right on my shoulders I have finally got it to a length I am reasonably happy with. Nowadays I wear it in a side parting, wavy and am on a strict heat ban to prevent any more of those pesky split ends!



I'm thinking of doing more 'hair' type posts in the next few weeks such as heat free styling and how to grow out your hair, would any of you be interested? And please post any of your hair journeys in the comments, I'd love to have a read!

30 comments :

  1. your hair is such a gorgeous length!! I'd love hair like that!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long hair looks gorgeous on you plus your hair is such a nice colour! I'm looking forward to more hair posts if you do them?! :] x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair is lovely! I'm considering getting mine cut short for the summer but I'm worried that I'll end up regretting it like you did. Ha, this is totally unrelated but your wallpaper is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair looks gorgeous how it is now :) Would love to see more hair posts sweetie, I love them!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very lucky...
    When I was younger I had short hair due to what seemed like a never-ending battle with head lice, but then when I turned about 11 there was no more threat and ever since then I've worn it long. I'm lying! In year 8 I cut it short with many short layers cause I was 'emo' but my hair grows back to freaking fast!

    Sometimes I wish I could pull of short hair cause long hair can be such a drag! :-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww your hair extensions ^_^ such a nice little post. I've never in my life used hair extensions, I'd be waaaay too scared of people seeing the clips! I love the length of your hair now <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW your hairs gorgeous:) im growing my hair out too ahah its already pretty long, i want it just above my waist; its only because i have curly hair though;L <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Post Hun! It has inspired me to do my own! xxx

    http://nikscorneroffashionandbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going through the same thing....trying to grow it out so minimal heat styling! would love to hear any good heat free tips you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your hair looks lovely and we have all been through the cringe worthy hair stages x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hair takes forever to grow. I thought it had grown quite a lot in the past few months but I showed a picture to my Mum from back in spetember and said 'Look how much my hair has grown!' and she just said 'It hasn't.'
    I'd love to see more hiar posts - your hair is lovely!
    And thanks for your lovely comment on my blog, it's appreciated! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. so there is a light at the end of the tunnel?! My hair has been stuck at the "awkward length" for about 7 months now! its like it never grows! i tried doing the no heat thing but kinda gave up. i think ill try to do it again only blow drying and straightening my bangs! thanks girl you gave me hope!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your hair is so gorgeous, especially at your current length! I'm at the awkward growing out short hair stage at the moment aha, would love to see more hair posts :-) x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. your hair is beautiful!! it look so shiny and healthy in those photos. super jealous. mine's got about 5 inches of regrowth and in dire need of a cut:) yuk. happily I'm going to the hairdresser on thursday to fix these issues:)
    xk
    http://alazygirlsguidetobeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember a little over a year ago I cut my hair almost to that length and I hated it too!
    My hair was always flicking out & there was nothing I could do to solve it, im glad I let my hair grow out lol.
    Your hair looks gorgeous, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How do you get your hair wavy without heat? I've tried plaiting it overnight but it always comes out really frizzy. How tight do you do your plaits?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your hair Hannah!<3 I can sympathise with the short hair, in year 8 I got mine cut short in the hope to look like Rhianna in the Umbrella video however as soon as it was cut off it became apparent that me and Rhianna do not have the same face nor the same hair and I looked more like a middle aged lesbian :( LOL!xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love hair posts! Luckily, my mum never let me chop of my locks, so I've been safe from that, but one I attempted to trim my own fringe and it was disastrous! I had it oinned back for months! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. The second photo of your hair looks all cute & ombre! As you've never dyed your hair, don't or maybe with semi. I'd love to see heat free styling posts. x hivenn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Even though you've been through all the cringey stages, your hair still looks good.


    Emilia, xo
    http://6ixty6ix9inety9ine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your hair looks lovely :) I wish my hair was at the length you have it at now, although it's slowly getting there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. i really enjoyed reading this post and learning more about your hair adventures. i would love to read more posts about hair--and by the way, i think your locks look beautiful now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i did that thing to get it short to look older! I hated it! And it was sooo long before! I'm trying to grow it again now but because of all the split ends it's taking forever! I did dip dye it a pinky red recently though!! X

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thankyou sooo much for all your supportive comments, i will definately be doing more hair posts!

    @Tess- Haha, thankyou, i've just had my room re-decorated actually!

    @Fern- Hahaaa, when i had hair extensions the clips were forever showing, so embarassing!

    @Olivia- Aww bless, im sure it has grown ;)

    @Emily- Aww just keep at it! It will grow eventually!

    @Anon- I plait my hair while its damp, i do it tight at the top but get looser at the ends as my ends are thin and go fizzy. Try using serum or mousse to try and combat frizz! :)

    @Holly- Haha, i bet you didnt, bet it looked lovely, Rihanna's hair is amazing!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. i know exactly how you feel! haha my hair hasnt grown in about 2 years i am pretty sure! would love to know how you managed to get yours so long! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete